A Prayer for Today
JOHN BAILLIE’S BOOK A Diary of Private Prayer is an excellent resource and I often use it in my own daily prayers. Each day comes with a morning and evening prayer and I would highly recommend it to you for your own prayer life.
Consider the prayer for this morning…pray it!
O Lord and Maker of all things, whose creative power made the first ray of light, and who looked on the world's first morning and saw that it was good, I praise you for this light that now streams through my windows to awaken me to the life of another day.
- I praise you for the life that stirs within me;
- I praise you for the bright and beautiful world into which I go;
- I praise you for earth and sea and sky, for hurrying cloud and singing bird;
- I praise you for the work you have given me to do;
- I praise you for all that you have given me to fill my leisure hours;
- I praise you for my friends;
- I praise you for music and books and good company and all pure pleasures.
O Lord, you yourself are everlasting Mercy, give me a tender heart today towards all those who in this morning light are less joyful than I am:
- Those in whom the pulse of life grows weak;
- Those who are unable to get out of bed to enjoy the sunshine;
- The blind, who are shut off from the light of day;
- The overworked, who have no joy of leisure;
- The unemployed, who have no joy of labor;
- The bereaved, whose hearts and homes are desolate;
Have mercy on them all.
O Light that never fades, as the light of day now streams through these windows and floods this room, so let me open to you the windows of my heart, that all my life may be filled by the radiance of your presence. Do not let any corner of my being be left in darkness, but illuminate every part of me by the light of your face. Let there be nothing within me to darken the brightness of the day. Let the Spirit of Jesus, whose life was the light of all people, rule within my heart until evening. Amen.
Login/Register to leave comment